By Eye Media Uganda | Apac | August 18, 2026
Four senior National Resistance Movement (NRM) leaders in Apac District have been barred from handling party finances following allegations that Shs186 million meant for the 2026 election campaign was mismanaged.
The affected officials are Apac District NRM Chairperson Talib Okabo, Publicity Secretary Daniel Eyit, Treasurer Nyashima Robina Abwooli Assimwe and party Registrar Bonny Ojaa, who was also serving as acting party administrator.

The four were signatories to the party’s bank accounts and are accused of withdrawing Shs186 million from the NRM account at Centenary Bank’s Apac branch on January 13, 2026, but allegedly failing to apply the money to its intended purpose.
An extended District Executive Committee meeting held on July 17, 2026, in Apac Municipality resolved to temporarily remove them as account signatories pending further investigations.
The meeting was chaired by NRM National Vice Chairperson for Northern Uganda Denis Hamson Obua, who directed police to investigate allegations surrounding the funds.
“Having deliberated over the complaints and the allegations of mismanagement of the Shs186 million sent to the NRM Party for vote protection in Apac District, it was recommended that fraud should be investigated by the police as they stay away from the finances of the party,” Obua said.
The meeting subsequently appointed NRM District Vice Chairperson Agnes Akello Ebong as principal signatory, acting Administrative Secretary Allan Okii as co-signatory and Denis Ambrosoli Onapa as another co-signatory.
Several NRM leaders welcomed the decision and called for investigations to be concluded without interference.
Akokoro Sub-county NRM Publicity Secretary Rodgers Akena alleged that financial mismanagement had persisted within the district party leadership and urged police to ensure anyone found culpable faces the law.
Apac Municipality NRM Chairperson Luzino Odongo also welcomed the decision, saying party members had previously raised concerns with different authorities.
However, Okabo denied misusing party funds, describing the allegations as politically motivated by individuals opposed to his leadership following internal party elections.
“These are the group of people who have been opposing my leadership and they wanted me out of this position. I have handed over the issue of finance to them because they used to think that we eat a lot of money there,” Okabo said.
The Apac allegations come amid similar investigations involving NRM officials elsewhere in the Lango Sub-region.
In Amolatar District, three party leaders were reportedly detained over alleged mismanagement of funds intended for LC1 election campaigns, while 10 NRM sub-county leaders in Otuke District were also detained over similar allegations.
Otuke Assistant RDC Isaac Opio Opeo said Shs22 million had been recovered after some suspects agreed to refund money allegedly misappropriated.












